18 April 2010

National Poetry Month

April is national poetry month. i've never really celebrated before, but i've missed poetry. also, when stuck on what assignment to give my ninth graders after watching a movie about apartheid, i decided on a poem. so they have to write a poem, any kind, about cry freedom. Here's one of my own that has been brewing in my head since friday.


     sit me down at the sea
     and be by me to look out over the world
     lost in horizons and sunsets.
     the bigness of it all, sinking in.
     but not really.
     we pretend to contemplate the universe
     but minds slip back to calendars and tasks.
     so we say, 'one day'.
     one day
     i will sit at the sea
     with no cares in the world, but the world
     and the bigness of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment